Monday 24 October 2016

From California to Costa Rica to Missouri: Assistant research professor finds her home at MIMH

Rachel Winograd was in an internet café in Central America when she found out that she got accepted into the University of Missouri–Columbia’s graduate program for clinical psychology. The San Francisco Bay Area native, who studied both psychology and theater at Emory University in Atlanta, was working on a farm while waiting to see where tentative future plans for graduate school might take her.

Fast forward through seven years of research, study and clinical experiences, and those plans have brought her to another UM System campus – the University of Missouri­–St. Louis, where she’s an assistant research professor and primary investigator for the Missouri Institute of Mental Health.

The new position allows her to do every day what she did back then when she was just deciding to pursue her PhD: follow her curiosity.

“I knew I wanted to be able to have a profession where I could be intrinsically motivated to learn more about it and feel like the work I was doing was going to have a tangible impact,” she explains. “The way I described it then, when I was trying to figure out what direction to go in, was, if I would walk into a bookstore, what section did I gravitate towards? Or if I was looking for something to watch on TV, what kind of shows would I watch?” For the full article click here 



from health IT caucus http://ift.tt/2eZHdpx
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment