Friday 22 April 2016

Dennis Murphy set to lead IU Health into new era

Dennis Murphy might be losing some sleep this month. But if he is, he says, it’s not because he is one week away from becoming the top executive at Indiana’s largest health system.

It’s just who he is.

“I think I’m a worrier by nature, so I’m not sure I sleep a lot to begin with,” said Murphy, 52, who is set to succeed Daniel Evans as CEO of Indiana University Health on May 1.  “If you don’t have some level of anxiety about, ‘Am I doing a good job?’ and ‘Am I being clear to people about the goals?’ and ‘Are we delivering on the mission that we set out for ourselves?’ I’m not sure you’re a good leader.”

There are plenty of reasons for Murphy to be anxious. He is taking the top job at a health system that has been seeking to cut $1 billion in operating expenses, leading to layoffs, uncertainty and at times poor morale among staff. Those changes come as the Affordable Care Act, including Indiana’s Medicaid expansion, is shaking up how hospitals get paid for their services. And IU Health is planning to consolidate its Downtown adult hospitals, causing concerns about jobs and how operations could change. For the full article click here 



from health IT caucus http://ift.tt/1ppjFKf
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment